Thursday, August 18, 2011

Peculiar Lot

Us spec writers are a peculiar lot. We understand each other, for the most part. Or at least we give each other space for our peculiar creative flows. Other people, including family, well, they just don't always get us. They may love us and nod with a smile even as their eyes glaze over while we try to explain the story or flash of spec brilliance we had in the middle of the night.

On our long trip out west, my mother and I had a lot of time to talk and we covered a lot of ground. Finally it came up that I was writing again. Mom got real excited because she thinks I'm brilliant and should be a multi-published author, it's just the world hasn't had the privilege of discovering me yet. You know how mothers are.

Anyway, she asked me about it and, while loving this new outlet of flash fiction and being excited about the story world of Avenir Eclectia, I wasn't sure how to explain it so I just said, "Oh, I'm not sure if you'll like it." (What a wonderful self promoter am I.)
Then, explaining flash fiction to her, imagine my surprise that her enthusiasim did not wane one degree but rather increased. She started talking about Ernest Hemingway and Kent Hauf and their sparse yet beautiful writing styles. So I thought, what do I have to lose?

When we got to our destination I found a computer and brought up Avenir Eclectia for her to watch the video. I love the video and music and hoped that it would set the stage for her to read my stuff. Well, the computer wouldn't play videos. Disappointing. But I had mom there and didn't want to leave her hanging so I let her read my two entries presently up on AE.

I'm happy to say that she didn't hate them. Or at least if she did, she hid it well. No, I really don't think she hated them and that she even liked a few things about them.

Another note on family. I make my kids read my entries before I send them in. As I mentioned before, they aren't crazy about flash fiction. Well the last one I had them read, my son said something along the lines of, "Hey, things are starting to come together and make sense." And he said it almost like he was excited about it. Almost.

Anyway, we spec writers are a peculair lot and we've got to stick together. And if we can get support from our families, that makes it even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment